Tuesday, March 4, 2008

YDA Conference

Last Friday I had the pleasure of attending the Young Democrats of America conference at Disneyland. It was awesome, I’ve never seen so many bright, determined, young people in one place before. Initially, the plan was just to show my face and maybe meet some people from New York, but the conference really exceeded my expectations. I was so impressed by the young Democrats there, especially those from Cook County and New York. For the opening night we had a mixer with an open bar. I met a woman named Steffanie, an elementary education major at Alcorn State, who will definitely be an elected official at some point in her political career. I also met a guy from Houston who was really cool. There were so many liberals from all over the country, it seemed like people were disappointed when I told them that I’m from L.A.

I also met a few dudes from the Larouche crew. They are special, to say the least. One of them, when I introduced myself, made a point to identify himself as Muslim. But it was vain, almost like the way people go “hey, I’m Black” or “I play ball too” – there is only so much we can relate to on that level, especially at a Democratic convention. He greeted me “hey, salaam” and reached out with one hand, holding a bottle of Bud in the other. Then he and his partner broke down part of the revolution to me and they used good buzzwords. They obviously didn’t know that Econ is my academic discipline, and that I know there is a difference between “globalization” and “outsourcing.” They are world class propagandists, but I would expect nothing less from people who for Larouche. I do respect them though, and I commend their commitment, but can not co-sign many of their views. And the whole “revolutionary” thing got my nerves, because everyone who voted Democrat in this election is revolutionary.

It was also pretty cool to see who endorses who. David Hardt, president of YDA, is a superdelegate, and I am eager to see who he votes for. If he is swayed by the attendees of the convention, he will go with Obama. By the way, he is great; and he represents young Democrats well. And I appreciate how much he definitely did not endorse any candidate at the convention. He spoke about commitment to whichever candidate is nominated, and young voters understand that. We, as young voters should promote this partisan discipline to older voters and even underage kids who identify themselves as Democrats; they have parents and older relatives too, and they won’t be underage forever. (By the way, I endorse Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama.)

Altogether, that experience was great. They screened a hilarious clip of Daily Show, which I have no clue why I didn’t catch before. The DJ was sweet; Eminem, Jay-Z, Khaled, a blind man could walk in that room and tell it was a function for young people. The Southerner are now the forerunners for this young liberal movement, a slight difference from the traditional East Coast-led campaign is good for us now. The LBGT Dems were very cool, they made me feel comfortable. We also met members of UNITE HERE Local 681 – the Orange County labor union that represents the workers at Disneyland hotels. They are in the middle of a contract disputes with Disneyland management, including conflicts with health care provision. One Disney employee told me that he has been working there for ten years, and has a six-year-old daughter. Now he fears that his health coverage will be revoked, and he doesn't know what he will do if his daughter gets sick. That doesn't sound like the happiest place on earth, does it?

I was on the way to a rally to support the Disney employees when my car engine got hot. Perfect timing, right after I wrecked my other car. There was a leak in the water hose, and the car started steaming on the 5 right at the Disney Way exit. I thought I was stranded in the OC for good, but my father was able to come get me a few hours later. We got the car to a repair shop in Midway City, where the manager was great. We talked a bit of politics after I told where I was going. He told me how his sister is a lobbyist for a free speech organization and she works closely with a congressman from New York; then I told him how I’m a journalist and an aspiring New Yorker. That was a nice cap to the car ordeal, it took a lot of time and wore me out. Everything happens for a reason though, and God is the best planner. My time with pops was wonderful. We listened to Garrison Keillor on the radio and ate at San Giovanni Pizza in Anaheim. The owner at the pizzeria is a naturalized citizen, and this election will be his fist time voting. I told him to vote Democrat. His food is so good that if he starts campaigning, he could make Orange County blue.

Later than night, I got to chat with old friend from high school. We laughed about memories, and exchanged jokes from Laffy Taffy wrappers. She told me about her life in Arizona now and how she never needs to come to Cali again. I wanted to tell her the same thing, but that would sound stupid considering I still live in California. This was actually our first phone conversation, and we have a lot more in common than I knew. That was pleasant.
All in all, my weekend was great. I experienced my first Democratic Convention, and I’m sure it won’t be my last.

Peace,

Hanif


No comments: